While touching your face is a seemingly harmless habit, it can actually hurt your skin. Doing so multiple times a day can contribute to breakouts and blemishes. As your hands come into contact with millions of germs, it can transfer bacteria and allergens from your fingertips onto your skin.
Why You Should Stop Touching Your Face Repeatedly
Brian J. Williams, M.D. and other dermatologists in Murray share a few other reasons you need to stop fiddling with your face:
- It can aggravate acne and other conditions. Touching your zits and other parts of your face can spread the acne bacteria, resulting in clogging of pores. This can worsen your pimples, as well as contribute to unwanted breakout. The habit can also aggravate eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
- It leads to picking (or pimples and other blemishes). With touching, there is always a tendency to run your fingers to find bumps and other irregularities. This will then encourage you to pick, pop, squeeze, or scratch anything undesirable. This doesn’t just worsen your blemishes, but also cause acne scarring.
- It increases your flu risk. Experts suggest that not touching your face may lower your flu risk. This is because the hands may be filled with germs and flu virus that can enter the body through your eyes, nose, and lips. This is especially true if you get touchy-touchy during the flu season.
How to Break the Habit
If you’re used to touching your face, here are few suggestions for breaking the habit:
- Ask a colleague or a friend to remind you to stop touching your face. You can also do the same for them.
- Always bring a sanitizer and apply some before applying makeup or if you feel the need to touch or scratch something on your face.
- Always keep your phone/keyboard clean.
- Improve hand hygiene by washing your hands with a mild soap and clean water.
Don’t let the habit you fiddling with your face hurt or damage your skin. Apart from stopping the habit, you can also benefit from visiting a dermatologist for other skin care tips. This is particularly helpful if you’re suffering from acne, eczema, and other skin conditions.