Physical changes in life are inevitable. Things start to wear out, joints ache, hair changes colour, and legs don’t move as fast as they used to. Teeth are no exception to the ageing process. They also become stained over time. This can be due to many factors, including:
- Consumption of highly pigmented foods and drinks such as tea, coffee and red wine
- Taking certain medications
- Genetic predisposition
- And simply getting older.
While not all stains can be removed with teeth whitening in Sydney CBD, surface stains caused by food and drink can be. Dental practices in the city such as Spa Dental Sydney CBD offer consultations for patients to find out whether their stains can be lifted with a whitening treatment.
How Does it Work?
Most dentists will offer two types of teeth whitening in Sydney CBD: in-clinic and at-home.
In-clinic whitening is a very quick and simple treatment. It takes around an hour, and mostly requires the patient to sit back and relax. The dentist first shields the gums to protect them. Then they paint the teeth with the whitening gel and activate it with a UV light. The only thing left is for the patient to wait for the gel to do its work. Practices will often offer the option to listen to music or watch a film while treatment takes place. At the end of the hour, teeth are shades lighter.
Or, it can be completed in the comfort of home. The patient is first measured for a set of custom-made whitening trays. Then the dentist issues them with a lower concentration gel that is applied for a few hours each day via the whitening trays. It takes about two weeks for the full effects to be seen.
It’s important that teeth whitening in Sydney CBD is done by a dentist, for three reasons:
- As mentioned, not all stains can be removed with whitening, and only a dentist can discern which type of stains are which
- Off-the-shelf whitening kits aren’t custom-made and so it’s possible the gel may leak onto the gums and cause irritation
- These kits also contain a much lower dose of whitening agent and so aren’t as effective.