Sometimes, parents are too busy to notice changes in their child’s behavior immediately. But if you know the signs to look for, you might be able to determine whether they are hiding something from you, such as drug use, and you’ll be able to do something about it. The sooner you can get your teen to receive substance abuse treatment in Farmington, the higher the chances of the treatment’s success.
Here are some of the possible signs of drug and alcohol abuse.
- Grades are suffering, teachers report your child’s absences
- Declining interest in activities such as sports and hobbies
- You keep losing money at home
- Your prescription drugs are missing
- Your child acts up and never seems to like being with family
- Trouble at school
- Different set of friends you don’t know
- Paranoia and anxiety for no apparent reason
- Bloodshot eyes, or pupils that do not look normal
- Sudden weight loss or gain
- Frequent sniffing and nosebleeds
- No interest in grooming or hygiene
- Unusual odor from body, breath, or clothes
- Abnormal sleep pattern
- Shaking or tremors
- Confusion and impaired coordination
- An overall unhealthy look (bad hair, face looks older than their age, etc.)
Your teenager may be involved with bad company, using drugs and alcohol. It won’t be long before this kind of behavior and physical or psychological changes become too obvious to hide. It is best to nip the problem in the bud, however, and being able to detect these changes in your child may help you save their life.